http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1427/985887784_255829267b.jpg

WOW. Here is the story of why she is body- less, thanks to Wikipedia:
St Catherine died of a stroke in Rome, the spring of 1380, at the age of thirty-three. The people of Siena wished to have her body. A story is told of a miracle whereby they were partially successful: Knowing that they could not smuggle her whole body out of Rome, they decided to take only her head which they placed in a bag. When stopped by the Roman guards, they prayed to St Catherine to help them, confident that she would rather have her body (or at least part thereof) in Siena. When they opened the bag to show the guards, it appeared no longer to hold her head but to be full of rose petals. Once they got back to Siena they reopened the bag and her head was visible once more. Due to this story, St Catherine is often seen holding a rose. The incorruptible head and thumb were entombed in the Basilica of San Domenico, where they remain.
I saw hide nor hair of the thumb, but that's quite the story.
Yesterday we went to the cafe near the Duomo. I had my first cappucino, which was excellent. The fire department set up great activities for the children. Nearly everyone had the day off, and there were so many excited kids with their parents in the streets. So in the Campo Piazza the fire deparment (Vigili di Fuoco) positioned the ladder of one of their trucks over an inflatable cushion (that I think they use for real fires). Little kids got to climb up and jump off. Some were gently tossed. They then bounced a little and slid off into the arms of a couple of fire fighters. These kids were definitely ages 3-7...it was an activity that would NEVER have flown in America. It was hilarious to watch. The fire dogs did tricks for a crowd and a fire hose was also set up for little kids to hose down a plastic toy house.

I tried some of the pear juice that we bought the first day at the supermarket. It is amazing. It's so good, that I might have to give up American juice. I can bring an extra suitcase home (I only came with one), and I may just fill it with juice. It's not pulpy, but it is liquid pear. ALSO, I had a Fanta with my lunch today. As I was pouring the soda into a glass, I saw that it wasn't orange in color, but a soft yellow, because it was carbonated orange juice. I started yelling in astonishment. Also, Dad, I wish I could bring you back coconut gelato. But then, of course, American coconut ice cream would be ruined for you.
Last night the whole group met for pizza. In Italy, everyone orders their own pizzas. They're about twelve inches in diameter and come with many different toppings. Everyone orders their own because the dough/bread part is so, so thin. It was delicious and no one had trouble finishing theirs.
Today was our entrance exam for school. First there was a written exam (multiple choice, true/false, and mini essays), which increased in difficulty as we went on, and then later in the day, an oral exam. I felt confident with the oral exam- it was just me having a conversation with a professor. She put me in the B section, which is the intermediate class. Mark was placed in B too. I am happy with my placement.
Tomorrow we start classes! And I've finished my antibiotic pills, so I'm on the mend.

No comments:
Post a Comment