Yesterday, Mark and I took a day trip to Florence! It's only about an hour away, and very cheap to get to.
We shared a pizza in front of La Basilica di Santa Maria Novella, and then headed off in search of the Duomo. It wasn't very hard to find, since it's still the tallest and most imposing building in the city. The facade was beautiful- a sort of Christmas color version of Siena's gothic facade. The inside was strikingly bare. The dome, from the inside, looks so much smaller than the outside- that's because there are two domes!
We saw the Uffizi next (the real purpose of our visit). There wasn't a line to get in, which apparently is impressive. Each room had its own treasures. I felt so privileged to be able to see all of these paintings and sculptures. My favorite room was the Botticelli room.
The Ponte Vecchio wasn't far away. I was pleasantly surprised to find it not lined with souvenir shops, but with shop after shop of gold jewelry. The Arno, was a proper color for a river, unlike the Tiber.
We ran out of daylight to see the David (and the outside replica was under construction), so we found a little restaurant for dinner. All in all, it was the best day trip I've ever had!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

last night i was at mike's, looking at your facebook. he came over to see what i was doing, and even superbowl-drunk, looked at your picture and went, "oh my god, is she in siena in that picture?" when i told him yes, he got incredibly jealous. he would be even more jealous if he read this -- i'm sure i've told you his florence stories?
ReplyDeleteanyway, i know I'M jealous. i loved the uffizi. but not as much as i love you!